2.25.2018

Insulation and Vanities


I always said I wouldn't be 'that mom' that the more kids I have the less I document, ha ha! It's harder than I thought for sure.  We just have had soo much going on around here, it's a nut house! It's been a really mild winter this year, which I am loving... especially building our home!  I am not a fan of snow in the first place and the warm weather has been awesome.  I will probably be sad when Summer comes and the lakes are low and we can't water our lawns.. not like we will have one ha! 



















The house is going good.  Dad has done SO much to help us.  Once they finished framing and got the roof on he and Preston ran all of the electrical and plumbing themselves.  It's saved a crazy amount of money on our cost breakdown, I've also just been buying as many of the supplies as I can out of our pocket and not making any draws. The HVAC took a few weeks to get fully put in because our guy was so busy, he'd do a little at a time.  I have to say this has been SO stressful, people not showing up, or coming late, things getting delayed left and right.  What a mess.  I guess it's just because so many people are building right now? Who knows. 




















The four way inspection happened and the next day the insulation crew was there getting the walls ready to blow it all in. They did it in about 2 days and it is crazy the difference it makes in the noise and warmth! Aiden quite likes going out and running around to "help" Preston and my dad whenever he can.  They added extra insulation on a few interior walls and I think it will be a good call on our end in the future! 















I've got just about everything picked out for the house, and I feel like I've been so indecisive!  I originally bought cheap-ish plain light fixtures for the bathrooms because I didn't care and I already spent a good amount on the main living area ones.  After looking online though I decided to get the nicer, slightly more expensive ones I really wanted because as Preston said, "they are the pieces that will make the room" and he has a point! I needed to finalize how high the boxes for them are going to be before they sheetrock and it was a tough decision! I don't have my vanities in (obviously) and I don't have my mirrors yet, so I took measurements of good size ones in the store and guessed... hopefully it all turns out!  I didn't want builder grade mirrors that are plain and just glued to the wall.  So I got those laid out, and had dad add some other things I am excited about like a pot filler, a speaker in the master shower, and a small chute between the master closet and the laundry room for dirty clothes.  Now Preston won't have an excuse to leave his dirty clothes on the bathroom floor hahaha!

Speaking of vanities, I found a plan online like a year ago of some I wanted to build and mom and I did the boys' last week.  She did the majority of it, I'm not all that great with the saw and we tried out a kreg 
jig thing... It was all definitely a learning curve but I LOVE how it turned out.  It cost about $150 to build and paint, and after the quote for a remnant piece of quartz was over $300 I went to Home Depot and found one for around $180 that is super similar and I love how it turned out!  I got a cool faucet that has light on the end of it which gets brighter as the faucet is turned on more, so it's like a night light basically and I am so excited to see it in action! I just need to go to Hobby Lobby and get the knobs for it and it will be all done! I picked a pretty blue and love how it all turned out!  We're currently working on the master vanity which will be really similar but I'm painting it white instead, I've got an awesome color picked out for the claw tub and don't want too much going on in the bathroom so the vanity will help tone it all down a bit.  



I also refinished a little cabinet I got to put our DVD's in and tried milk paint for the first time.  I won't lie it was super stressful once it dried and started chipping off! I even added extra bond but one side didn't chip hardly at all, the top was good, and the side and doors practically all chipped off.  So I lightly sanded them and put another few coats on. Overall I like it but the doors chipped way more than I wanted.  I just put several clear coats on it and am deciding on whether I want to add glass or chicken wire to the doors. 

The weather has been so nice, and I'm running the Ogden half marathon again this year so I busted out my new double jogging stroller and went on a run.  It was SO nice, I was worried it'd be hard to push both kiddos especially since I'm so out of shape but it went great and they both took naps!  Emmett had just woken up from a 2 hour nap before we left too so he got lots of sleep that day ha ha. I was so excited to make it a habit and of course now it decides to be winter and snow a ton.  Hopefully it won't last too long and we will have better weather soon!  

No comments:

Post a Comment