7.13.2014

Trek!

We got asked back in February ish to be a Ma and Pa on trek and I am not going to lie, I was NOT excited.  I basically went kicking and screaming, because I knew it was just going to be hot and long and dusty and dirty and miserable.  Ha!  I tried to have a better attitude and I am glad I went and had the great experiences that I did.  We went to the trail just outside Evanston on a ranch the church owns that is like 300,000 acres or something crazy.  We met our "kids" and got our wagon loaded.  We had 5 girls and 5 boys and man did they have lots of energy!  They just wanted to run with the wagon basically the whole three days.  It wasn't as hot as we thought it would be, they said it was in the mid 80's the whole time. 

Thursday we walked 10 miles and it was overcast the whole time and sprinkling rain off and on the whole time which was SO nice.  We set up camp, had beef stew and brownies and ice cream for dinner, and watched while the kids did some dancing.  We had a hard time getting the queen sized air mat in our little 2-3 man tent.  while we were shoving it in there part of it got caught on a stake for the tent and tore a hole in it.  GREAT! I was so sad I just wanted to cry, two nights on the hard ground.  So we duct taped it and hoped for the best.  It poured rain all night long and we woke up with it being completely flat. Man were we sore. We had our shoes outside the tent but under the cover and both of our right shoes managed to get soaked too, so one was dry and one was wet. Ha ha! It wasn't too bad though. 

Friday we walked 9 miles and it was still overcast but didn't rain as much.  It was the women's pull that day and although the hill wasn't hard, it was amazing to see the girls come together and help each other out, and at the top to see the guys so eager to jump in and help us make it to the top.  It didn't rain that night but there was a lot of condensation in the tent.  We taped the mat again from the inside and outside of the hole and while about 1/3 of the air stayed in, we woke up both rolling onto each other in the middle with all of the air on either side.  Not fun.  

Saturday there wasn't a cloud in the sky and it was so hot.  It was only 7 miles but there were so many hills and we were all so hot, sweaty, dirty, and sunburned, we just wanted to get home!  Overall I really enjoyed the fireside Friday night and hearing about some peoples ancestor stories about crossing the plains, and the mini plays they put together of true pioneer stories.  I felt the spirit so strong and it blows my mind the faith the pioneers had, I don't know if I could do it! I mean I complain about the heat and a whole 10 miles, when they walked an average of 20 miles a day and a "short" day for them was 15.  Not to mention they didn't have baby wipes, lots of delicious food and snacks, and all of the things we were lucky to have on our mini "trek".

I am so grateful for my ancestors and the sacrifices they made to cross the plains to Zion, and if it wasn't for them I know I wouldn't be here right now.  We are so lucky to have the things we have today and how much we take for granted.  Here's some fun pictures to remember the day, and how long it seemed to be at times. Ha! Oh and to add to it, apparently we were such great trek parents they called us to be in the nursery today.. here's to treats and naps for the next 6 months at church! 

On the bus heading to the ranch

Our family


These boys were quite a pair. 


Isn't he so dang cute

and sweaty! 

When it was still fun.. ha ha! 


The first evening

Wahoo for tan lines! 

Pretty sure we had the smallest tent. The tent behind us?  Yeah there was just a ma and pa in there.. Apparently when they said "pack comfortably" I didn't get the memo and was trying to pack super light.

Our tiny tent

The sunset was pretty 

Day two!




Trying to blow up our mat while in the tent.. Preston was up against a wall and I was outside on the tarp rug and the rain guard feeling rather claustrophobic. 



They ran up this hill... we toddled behind. Ha ha. 

Our family after trek. Sweatier and dirtier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment