5.15.2013

May

In the beginning of April I got an opportunity to run in the Ogden Half Marathon. I took the ticket, because I've heard nothing but great things about this race, and why not!? I have been trying to prepare, at the time I registered I hadn't ever ran more than 8 miles.. 

But I accomplished something big the other day.. I ran 10 miles; my farthest ever. I worked and went to the Ogden Parkway straight after. I started near the 31st street exit and headed south. I went clear down and around so many pretty fields and scenery, and when the pavement stopped, I didn't. I was doing good, other than I was SO thirsty. The path was beautiful, and there weren't that many people on it, a few bikers.  I'm glad that during the half there will be stations for drinks, fruit, and energy bars every mile and a half or so. 

As for the house projects, It is really coming along. I swear the more we do the longer my wish list gets. But I'm trying to keep patient :) Mom and I re did the tool shed, put up sheetrock, pegboard, new flooring, and a shelf. Prestons parents were sweet and gave us the table with drawers, and my dad gave us the small one FULL of tools! We got wrenches, soldering gun, battery charger, hammers, and so much more stuff. We are all set now. Thank you dad! 


We also made a garden! We got some railroad ties from dad, two we had in the yard already, and got to it! I'm so grateful I have my parents who contribute so much! We decided to do it in the corner, it's shady some of the day, and we had to take out some of the flower bed, but It was the best place for it. 



Scalping the lawn was the WORST thing EVER. It took most of the work and the time, however it was so nice once it was all out! We have pretty good soil here, but there were some big rocks we dug up, that's what you get for living on a mountain! 



As a side job mom sawed down the big tree/bush/thorny thing that I hated and totally wanted gone. We just need to get the stump out now, and I plan on planting a big pretty tree there, something along the lines of a Crabapple, Flowering Pear, or a Pink Flowering Dogwood in it's place. 


The finished product! I planted four cucumbers, a spaghetti squash, yellow squash, peas, four red bell peppers, four green bell peppers, two red onions, two cherry tomatoes, four regular tomatoes, and carrots. I would've liked to plant cantaloupe and pumpkins, but they take over the garden, and I don't want to scalp ANY more lawn! Ha! 




While I was planting Preston and mom got up the railing on the corner of the deck. I decided against the bed idea and am instead going to do two benches with a table in the corner, and hang a cool chandelier or some kind of light in the corner. 


I put up some string lights, and potted some flowers on the patio. I'm excited to paint the rest of the deck so it's all brown, and get the corner benches in. Our little oasis is coming right along! Under the deck I hung the hammock we got when we were in Mexico. I'm excited to use it!! 




I have been needing a necklace holder of some kind, and wanted something cute and out of the ordinary, and when I was helping dad load his scrap metal into the truck mom saw this old rake and I was so excited! I kept it the old red with the paint worn off on the edges and hung it up. Love it! 


A few days before the half marathon I woke up to get ready for work and didn't feel very good, only to run to the bathroom a few minutes later and throw up. I was absolutely miserable all day. I was so so sick. Fever, vomiting, body aches, the works. I laid around most of the day, and couldn't even keep water down.  Friday morning I woke up determined to be better, but wasn't.  I wasn't throwing up every hour or so, but was still so weak.

I picked up my packet and ended up getting my legs taped by KT tape for my shin splints at the expo. Still undecided about what to do, I slept most of the day, and that night felt like I was starving so we went to Olive Garden to carb load. At that point I decided I wanted to run it. I knew I would struggle more than if I was feeling good but I was determined!

I was antsy and nervous but set my alarm for 4:00 AM and fell asleep around 10:30.  My alarm went off and I jumped out of bed. I had a stomach ache and looked outside to find it in a DOWNPOUR! I had a skirt and tank top all ready to go, but changed into a short sleeve shirt, capris, and brought my running jacket.  I choked down a piece of toast with peanut butter, and got Preston up to take me to the bus stop. I asked a friend who is a marathon runner, Debbie what she was planning on wearing, I was worried i'd be hot, and she told me to make sure I brought a garbage bag just in case it rained up there, which I'm so glad I did! 

I went to the lines for the busses and got on, waiting to go!  I got a little car sick heading through the canyon, and when we got there there were SO many people! I have never been to such a full race before. It was so exciting being around so many runners.  I waited in the lines for the porta potties to go before I started, which while I was waiting in line, the sprinklers went off in the field where everyone was! It was hilarious, I was lucky enough to miss them, but so many people were right in the middle of the field! It was dark, cloudy, but barely sprinkling, which I was ok with! I was thinking to myself, oh it will be nice to have a little sprinkle, keep cool and all..
My official time didn't start until I crossed the line, which I'm glad for, because when the start gun went off it took me about 3 minutes to get to the start.  I was so excited and there was adrenaline pumping through my body.  I had my nike app and my music blasting, and started getting emotional after a couple minutes.  I was SO proud of myself at that moment, I was doing it, it was really happening. Nothing could stop me! Not even the sprinkle of rain.  The view was gorgeous, and I wasn't even scared of the hill coming up.  Once I got to it I just told myself not to stop. No matter how slow I went, I wasn't going to stop. When I got to the top It wasn't really raining and my bag was making me so sweaty, I ditched it. Which I highly regretted later ha ha.

Nina was sending me encouraging texts, but I was trying not to pay attention to my phone, or my nike app.  I checked it every so often just to check my pace.  I was running between a 10:30-11:30 minute mile. A little faster than my usual, so I tried to focus on slowing down, but it was so hard! I was feeling so pumped, and so motivated by all the runners around me.  I was excited when I hit 3.1 miles completed, only 10 to go!!


When I got to about 4 ish miles, It started really raining. I was getting soaked! My jacket was feeling heavier, my hair was dripping, my shoes were completely soaked, and my left headphone went out. I was really really sad about that last part... I need music! I thought about bringing a back up pair, but at the last minute decided not to bring them, fail! Every aid station I passed I made sure I got a cup of gatorade, and a cup of water to chase it. I hate gatorade, but a couple of those tasted like the best thing ever at that point. My stomach was starting to really hurt and I felt nauseated  but I pushed through it, I was determined to walk as little as possible. When I crossed the bridge over Pineview, I saw Pope - the UHP cop that helped Preston propose to me.  Seeing him gave me a huge boost, and it conveniently was at the start of the biggest decent down the canyon. I was booking it (for me), about a 9 min mile the whole way down,  I was trying not to let myself go too fast so I didn't get burnt out, but once again people were flying past me so it was hard! At that point I was starting to get miserable. I really had a bad stomach ache and needed to go to the bathroom, but I passed two more aid stations because of the lines for the porta potties.  I really really didn't wanna wait, because it kills your time! I saw a girl run out from behind some tall bushes and was like hmmmm that's a good idea, but although I scouted out some good spots after that I was too chicken.  Finally at the next aid station I had to stop. I couldn't even run anymore my stomach was hurting so bad. The line wasn't TOO bad but I still lost about 8 min total. Bummer! 

At that point my jacket was dripping water, and I was ready to be DONE with this race.  I kept thinking  I was almost of out that dang canyon and nope I wasn't!  When I finally saw the waterfall at the mouth of the canyon I started crying. I was so tired, my hips were hurting, my knees, my feet felt blistered, but I wasn't going to stop!  I knew Nina and Preston were waiting for me when I got out. I passed Rainbow Gardens and went under the road, when I came out I saw them standing there and started crying again. I was so happy to see them, I didn't stop because I knew I wouldn't start if  I did. It gave me a second wind when I saw them, and was determined to run the rest of the way.


The last two miles were the roughest. My mom called me and told me she was waiting for me around the temple, and I had just turned onto Washington at that point. It was hurting worse to walk than it was to run at that point and I just had to keep going. When I turned onto Grant I had 5 ish blocks left, and at that point I was encouraging every person I passed that was walking.  Telling them they could do it made me believe I could do it. I was past my goal time, but I didn't care. I was going to finish, and that's all that mattered at that point. I saw my mom walking towards me and flung off my soaking wet jacket for her to take.  She ran with me for a minute and I was so happy to be almost done and see her. You know how sometimes you just need your mom? I needed my mom. She told me to keep going and she'd see me at the finish line and my favorite song came on, I was so ready to be done! I saw Preston and Nina again and tried to speed up to the finish, but my legs could barely carry me. I crossed the finish line and started crying. I did it. I can't believe I did it.  All I could think about was sitting down, and drinking something with sugar in it. 



My official stats suck, but I don't even care. For having 5 weeks to prepare, being sick, and having it rain the whole time, i'm proud I did it. I am super excited to run another half in September and can't wait to KILL my time I ran this time. I met up with mom, Preston, and Nina after and we went to Moore's to eat, then hobbled home and laid down for a few hours while mom and Preston jack hammered the basement floor. 


A week later Preston had his tonsils removed.  I can't believe how quick it was, 15 min or less! The doctor said he did good, but really needed them out, there were pockets full of food and puss and junk. Hopefully he stops getting sore throats and sick all the time now!  After the surgery he was pretty good, a little groggy.  We were in the recovery room about 2 hours,  then got to go home and rest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment